Friday 5 June 2020

Proprioception* and Existence




Proprioception* and Existence:

The main sense of living, that what makes me truly feel alive, feel I exist, comes from the interaction between my body and the environment. There is Me, my body and there is the environment, which is not Me but forces me to interact with it in order to go on living.

Only in this interaction do I truly experience what is myself and what is not myself. There is a boundary which tells me that what is within it, that is Me and that, what is outside of it, that is Other. To realize myself for what I am means that I exist. 

To exist I need the absolute certainty of this boundary, the boundary that separates myself from the space around me and tells me what I am still and what I am no longer. If this distinction would not exist then everything would be one and therefore indistinguishable. There would be no individuality, no singleness, no uniqueness, no perceivable existence.

To exist means to step out and to see the limits of my being in relation to others and to my environment beyond the body. The constant attempt to determine my own position in space is reminiscent of the search for the meaning of life. An unsolvable question that always remains open and is in flux.



*** Proprioception, also referred to as kinesthesia, is the sense of self-movement and body position ***


#robertfaeth, #painterinBerlin, #painting, #art, #bookblog, #bookreviews, #literaturelover, #poem, #poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Old God's Time“ by Sebastian Barry - review

  “Old God's Time” by Sebastian Barry: It is somewhere in the middle of the 1990s in Dalkey at the Irish sea and widower Tom Kettle, f...